Wednesday 18 September 2013

Trains, trams and no automobiles

After my trip to the dolomites I was contacted by Art with a Heart ( Creative Surgery ). I was invited to exhibit some work for their next exhibition. The theme being "Trains, trams and no automobiles".

Initially I thought of creating a mobius circle out of earthenware clay, adding train tracks on both sides, but with little time for experimentation, I decided against the idea.

After much thought, I decided to create a surface design using photo shop and illustrator. I thought train designs are the most obvious, so I had a go at designing some train tickets.


I altered the ticket in Photoshop and erased all the typography . I also erased the logo for copyright reasons.

I transferred the blank ticket design to Illustrator and typed in the new ticket destinations etc. I typed all the main stations on the Altrincham line so it would appeal to the people of Altrincham. As this is where the exhibition is being held.
I then created a new logo.

After printing the image onto the transfer paper. I traced the ticket layout onto the fired wares. I then painted the tracing using mayco glazes. After firing the 2nd time I applied the transfers, then fired again




                                          Fresh out of the kiln !
                                                             






                   
The ticket design represents the diminishing train on its journey, the logo represents speed and direction.






Large glazed dinner plate




                                                Side plate

Art with a Heart. Creative surgery. Normans Place. Altrincham. 12 - 29 Sept.13 Thurs to Sun 10 to 5









No comments:

Post a Comment